OK…how did you like the little wallet that I made from Valori Well’s pattern? Cute, huh!? Well, I couldn’t keep myself from wondering “what if” all day until I broke down and tried my variations on a new little wallet. I didn’t have far to go in picking the fabrics as they were right in the front room. Our new Maxine fabric was just screaming to be used so I listened and used it. Here’s what I came up with. It’s cute, cute, cute!
I fussy cut the sayings for the flap in order to get the one I wanted in just the right place. It says, “I shop for all my favorite people…me, myself, and I.” While it’s not totally true right now, it might be…one of these days.
What did I learn on the second rendition of this little wallet? Well, I’ll tell you. First of all, fussy cutting this fabric caused it to not be cut on grain. In fact, it was cut more on the bias. Had I thought about it, I would have ironed the interfacing to this piece rather than the lining piece as instructed. That would have helped to stabilize the bias edges which I am afraid got stretched a bit out of shape. The stretching was most noticeable at the opening left for turning.
Here’s the view of the back of the wallet. It has one of my favorite of Maxine’s sayings which is, “I keep hitting escape, but I’m still here!” There are days when I do wish there were an escape button that I could push, but I’ve yet to find one.
Don’t you just love that lining fabric?! I was able to place the pattern in such a way as to use one of the flowers to mark the spot where the closure should go. Note that I have even sewn on the Velcro dots to close the wallet. Amazing, huh! Since I’m well known for NOT finishing my projects completely it is more than merely amazing, it’s astonishing!!!
I can honestly say that I do like the way this lighter version turned out. However, I am now wondering what it would be like to use the heavier interfacing on the body of the wallet and the lightweight only on the pockets. Does that sound like another wallet might be in the making? It does to me…
Oh yes, I realized this morning that I had made a mistake on the wallet I made last night. Of course, no one would know if I didn’t tell them but since we crafty folks seem to have to always tell what we did wrong in a project I feel compelled to follow suit.
Remember that I said I fussy cut a flower to go on the first pocket so that when I opened the wallet I would see a pretty flower? Well, I did do that, BUT I sewed that side of the pocket on the inside instead of on the outside. There’s a pretty flower on the inside of that pocket but only stripes on the outside. I thought about taking it apart and fixing it, but Miss Janice, who happened to be here when I discovered what I had done, convinced me that it would be easier to just make a whole new one instead. She was right of course. After having made this fun little wallet I’m glad I took her advice. I might still have to make another plaid floral wallet with a flower on the front of the pocket but not any time soon. I need to really be getting my Thimbleberries block done, the Farmer’s Wife blocks done, and a new BOM block with baskets that we hope to begin in April or May. I’ll let you know when the first block for the basket quilt is done so you can decide whether or not you want to participate. We’ll be using a two new groups from Moda, “Dragonfly Summer” as well as “Lilac Hill” to do this BOM. It’s going to be gorgeous!